|Mode of Delivery
|This course will be delivered over a period of 83 weeks of full-time study
where 70 weeks are academic weeks and 13 weeks of holidays.
|Location can vary
This qualification reflects the role of highly skilled senior operators who use a broad range of hospitality skills combined with managerial skills and sound knowledge of industry to coordinate hospitality operations. They operate independently, have responsibility for others and make a range of operational business decisions.
Diploma of Hospitality course provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent in the middle management level as a Manager, Supervisor or Team Leader in any hospitality area.
Who can Enroll
Target group for this program will be international students who are 18 years and above, (including mature aged clients) who have completed Certificate IV in commercial cookery qualification and wish to enter the hospitality industry at the middle management level.
Recommended Training Pathways
Pathways into the qualification
Individuals may enter Diploma of Hospitality Management with limited or no vocational experience and without a lower level qualification. Even though, it is strongly recommended that individuals undertake lower level qualifications, and/or gain industry experience within the hospitality industry.
Pathways from the qualification
After achieving Diploma of Hospitality Management, individuals could progress to Advance diploma of Hospitality Management or higher education qualifications in management.
Employment pathways from the Qualification
This qualification provides a pathway to work in any sector of the hospitality industry as a departmental or small business manager.
Possible job titles include:
- Chef de cuisine
- Kitchen manager
- Restaurant manager
- Sous chef
- Applicants must be minimum 18 years of age at the time of commencement.
- Successful completion of Australian Equivalent Year 12 qualification or higher.
- Minimum IELTS score of 5.5 or PTE score of 42 or its equivalent. For equivalency of various English Languages proficiency testing, and other forms of equivalency please refer to the Admissions and Enrolment policy available in the Students handbook.
- Applicants should have basic computer and MS Office skills (Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Students must bring their own laptops to facilitate the training and assessment. Recommended Laptop requirements: Core i3 Processor, 4 GB of RAM, Operating system; Windows 7 or later version, Screen; 10” or higher, Microsoft Office or Open Office Program, Adobe Reader and Antivirus Program.
- All VET courses students will be required to undertake LLN test to identify Language, Literacy and Numeracy capabilities at the time of Orientation (prior to commencing the courses). The outcome will help the trainers and Student Support Staff to identify the learning needs and make provisions for additional academic support where required.
- Hospitality candidates should be able to handle and cook dairy products and nonvegetarian food items including pork and may involve alcohol.
|Manage diversity in the workplace
|Lead and manage people
|Monitor work operations
|Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
|Prepare and monitor budgets
|Manage finances within a budget
|Research and comply with regulatory requirements
|Manage operational plan
|Establish and conduct business relationships
|Develop and manage quality customer service practices
|Enhance customer service experiences
|Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
|Use hygienic practices for food safety
|Use food preparation equipment
|Work effectively as a cook
|Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
|Prepare appetisers and salads
|Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
|Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
|Prepare poultry dishes
|Prepare seafood dishes
|Prepare meat dishes
|Produce cakes, pastries and breads
|Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
|Participate in safe food handling practices
Note: The elective units may change at college’s discretion, if necessary.